Sunday, September 17, 2017

Currently: September 17, 2017


These weeks are going buy too quickly. We're inching closer and closer to winter. Gah. Summer went to dang fast. I demand a redo. Come on...just four more weeks. No? How about two? Please...I'm being reasonable. Ugh. Fine. I'll soldier along and try to get all of my outside work done before the inevitable snow arrives.

Weather: 

The chill has arrived. Our little glimpse of Indian Summer was apparently just a tease. We dropped 30 degrees like it was nothing. Today it's hovering between 50 and 60. The sun finally came out this afternoon and made it slightly better, but I'm wearing jeans and a hoodie. It's a sad state of affairs. I already miss shorts weather.

Watching:

I've always been a sucker for British comedies. It's my quirky sense of humor I guess. I loved The IT Crowd and am terribly sad that there weren't more seasons. This week, Netflix wisely recommended Black Books. It's been fantastically awkward and weird and lovely.

Reading:


I finished Tatiana De Rosnays' A Secret Kept earlier this week. It was a decent read, but just didn't have the power that her Sarah's Key carried. Still, it was a good book and I enjoyed reading it.


I'm now reading Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs. It's my initial read for the RIP (R.eaders I.mbibing P.eril)Challenge XIII. I'll be posting an official sign up post for the reading event tomorrow.

Listening:

It was mostly a quiet week. I had Netflix running in the background while I did canning this week. No Pandora or Spotify, unfortunately.

Learning:


Well...out of necessity, my fence repair skills are improving. I woke this morning to a cow mooing outside my bedroom window. I got out of bed and looked outside to see...nothing. So I wandered into B's room. I looked out his window and found myself staring Southern Belle directly in the face. I bribed her back in the pasture with a bucket of corn and went back inside.

Not five minutes later, I heard Gunner growling upstairs. Tada...cow in the front yard. Same cow. Ugh. I got her back in once again and went to find the spot where she piled through the fence. She had gone under the barbed wire and pushed through the tensile net. I don't know what motivated her...she's huge...but her escape was marked by hair lodged into the barbs for a good three foot stretch.

I did a quick fix with the existing wires while holding B. It was decidedly awkward. Then I headed in to shower and get ready for the day. Hmm...nope. Cow. I called her around the garden and coaxed her in yet again while making sure the horse didn't take advantage and let himself out. That done, I went into the garage for some pliers and wire. I tightened up the fence in four spots (admittedly it's nothing perfect thanks to my wimpy hands, but it should do the trick) and wound twine through the spot to act as a visual deterrent. Thus far, no cow in the yard again. Thank goodness.

Making:

The canning continues. I processed so many beets this week that my kitchen looked like a grisly crime scene. In the end, I yielded 17 pint jars of sliced beets along with 4 half-pint jars and 34 cubes of puree. The truly sad part...that was only half the beets. Gary has been feeding them to the pigs for the last couple of weeks.

Root vegetables are up next. I now have a laundry basket full of turnips sitting on the front step ready for processing. Yesterday, I pulled the Brussels sprouts that were ready and got them processed and bagged for freezing. I also cut up the watermelon and pureed some cubes.

I'm behind of where I wanted to be this week, but at least there was progress. I have absolutely got to get through the turnips and rutabagas this week. I also need to pull the onions and potatoes and start them curing. The good news is that we aren't forecasted for a freeze yet, so I still have some time to keep this endeavor moving forward.

Thinking/Feeling:

Old. Seriously. I turn 39 today. Gah. I never had issues with my birthday until I turned 36. Something about being closer to 40 than 30 has made me just feel...ugh. I had honestly come to terms with 38, but now I have to reconcile myself to a new number. The saving grace is that I have a good handful of friends turning 40 this year, so they're helping me to feel better about it. After all, they all look pretty wonderful and are still having fun at 40.

Wanting/Needing:

We started cleaning the garage this week and Gary has begun constructing shelves along the back wall. It will be so nice to start organizing things. The plan is to get everything that's in boxes gone through and sorted (keep, toss, sell) and put those items we're keeping into organized totes that will go on those new shelves. Once the garage is sorted, we'll attack the basement. We have a couple of metal shelving units that will go down there so that I can organize things that will stay inside (like fabric). It will be so incredibly fantastic to be able to access things again. With any luck, we're also hoping to create a small informal sitting area downstairs. Things to look forward to for sure.

Loving:

I like weird things. Seriously. But when I like something, I really like it. For example, when I buy clothing, I buy multiples of the same item if I really like it. My jeans are all the same. My shorts...same. The shirts I bought last week? Different colors of the same brand and style.


Well...apparently it's no different with my cosmetics. A few years back, I picked up some Burt's Bees lip balm. Nothing special, just something for my poor chapped lips. But...they come in different flavors. So...obviously I now have a small collection. Out of the thirteen shown in the picture above, I own nine of them. In addition, I have Pumpkin Spice and their newest, Cucumber Mint (it's delightful). I also have their Flavor Crystal Lip Balm in Sweet Orange and Tropical Pineapple (spoiler alert, I'm not a fan). Seriously...what kind of person needs that much lip balm??? But hey, I like variety I suppose.

Planning:

We're moving forward on the flooring plans. The new downstairs carpet gets installed in ten days. We ordered our tile on Friday. I should have a call tomorrow to schedule when they will come out to measure for the upstairs hardwood estimate. I'm ridiculously excited about floors. Adulthood is weird.


And now, if you'll excuse me, my child has decided that my shoulder and elbow are chew toys and Gary has walked through the door with a cake. I'm going to go enjoy Sunday evening with my family.


What about you? What does your "Currently" look like?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Other Posts You Might LIke

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
01 09 10 11 12
Blogging tips