Monday, August 14, 2017

Winds of Change?


I've been blogging for over ten years. In fact, looking back...it seems that it's been nearly twelve. EPJ itself began to take shape in the fall of 2009. That seems like so incredibly long ago. Since then I've written over 650 posts on everything from scrapbooking to recipes to book reviews with a few crazy pumpkin posts thrown in for good measure (and good blog growth).

But in the last two years, things have changed so incredibly much for me. Life is nothing like it was. And, in most ways, that has turned out to be a very good thing. However, in blogging terms it apparently is not. Because I have stagnated. I've been stuck. I haven't written much, haven't crafted much, and I feel a bit lost.

Why? Well...because I'm not sure that the blog is still meant to be the same. With as much as life has changed, it seems only right that what I write about should change (or at least shift) as well. And I think perhaps I've feared that making that shift under the same old Erratic Project Junkie heading would just seem awkward to those reading.

My days are filled with different things. My projects are of a different nature. And I feel like maybe the EPJ name is keeping me feeling a bit more constricted than I should be.

I still enjoy writing about books. I still enjoy sharing projects -- though there is now likely to be an even greater hodgepodge with the addition of farming and homesteading activities. And I still think I would enjoy sharing pieces of my every day life...though not in a way that would turn this into something more accurately identifiable as a mommy blog.

And so now I have a question to pose...

What would you like to see from me? Should I take the blog in a new direction and leave things labelled with EPJ? Should I relocate everything over to the farm blog even though not everything relates to farming? Should I start a separate blog for books and those other non-farming things and abandon EPJ altogether?

It's a crossroads. And I need a bit of guidance. Feel free to be blunt and be honest. Help me make this transition and get back into writing without feeling like things are so ridiculously awkward. It's time to get back in the saddle somehow.

1 comment:

  1. I understand exactly what you are saying! As I've focused on the book part of my blog over the last year, I have fallen away from travel writing, even though I am still traveling quite a bit. But, I worry that my blog is too divided between the two; it feels like two blogs but I have no idea how, at this point, to separate them. I keep plugging away, but I do feel torn about it.

    With that said, I am not sure I have a whole lot of advice, but I do think your EPJ moniker gives you a lot of room for play. A project can be a million things. It can be simpler things like crafting and recipes, but I think it can also be much larger undertakings like raising a child or building a life so different from what you expected five years ago. If I were you, I'd stick with EPJ. You've put a lot of work into growing this blog and its readership- don't give that up. If some of your readers fall away because they aren't interested in the "mommy" side of the blog or can't relate to the farming, so be it. You will gain others in their place.

    I've loved your blog and often think of you when I'm trying to improve my own. Keep what you've built- your projects, your followers, your creative and energetic spirit. EPJ can and will evolve with you on your new adventures!

    *Hugs*

    ReplyDelete

Other Posts You Might LIke

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
01 09 10 11 12
Blogging tips