Sunday, February 19, 2017

2016 Book of the Year: Final Four


Well...hello again! Are you enjoying my repeating disappearing act? It seems that time has a way of getting away from me these days. We've had a few crazy weeks here on the farm, so my time has been a bit disjointed. But...the show must go on. And we have a 2016 BOTY to find!

I know it's been a while, so here's a refresher of where the bracket currently stands. Eight competitors working to take the title.

How about we get rid of half of these? Sound like a plan?

Top Left Bracket:

vs.

A 4-star rating against a 3-star rating. You know what that means. Easy elimination. An unfortunate one, but (thanks to the rules) an easy one nonetheless. We say goodbye to Mindy Kaling here and Porko von Popbutton by William Pene du Bois continues on to the Final Four. Crazy...I think this is the first time ever I've had a children's book competing in the Final Four.


Bottom Left Bracket:

vs.

Two 4-star rated books. Both fantastic reads. This one was a difficult choice. I seem to always have at least one bracket where I waffle every year. This pairing definitely meets that definition. I struggled a lot over what I wanted to do here. Ultimately, as always, I just had to pull of the band-aid and go with my gut. And so...as good as it was and as much as I would highly recommend it as a read, If I Was Your Girl by Meredith Russo loses out to Annie Proulx's The Shipping News. There's just too much literary mastery present in Proulx's work to let it lose out here.


Top Right Bracket:

vs.

3.5 stars vs. 4 stars. Dang it, Harry Potter. I'll admit though, I don't feel too bad about this one. I just didn't love Cursed Child as much as I had hoped. Besides...I adore Morgan Matson and Since You've Been Gone gave me the feels. Since You've Been Gone moves on to the Final Four.


 Bottom Right Bracket:

vs.

Once again, two 4-star rated books face off. And yes...it was another difficult bracket to decide. But...I think literature wins out here once again. Lindsey Stirling's book was entertaining and it was endearing, but Tom Stoppard's Arcadia has staying power. It's filled with literary merit and I just couldn't let it go. The final contender in the 2016 Final Four is Tom Stoppard's Arcadia. Again...another first. No play has ever made it this far in the challenge.


And there we have it...a very eclectic Final Four. Four 4-star books all facing off to try and take the ultimate title. Which one are you rooting for?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Other Posts You Might LIke

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
01 09 10 11 12
Blogging tips